MiniatureGeneral

Musings of one man whose hobby happens to be miniature wargames

Friday, November 10, 2006

General Pickett's Fried Chicken

The topic title came to me this afternoon when I noticed that "General Pickett's Buffet" was next to Kentucy Fried Chicken. Which means it was a busy afternoon for The General to have time to shop in the dealer area and in the touristy areas of Gettysburg around Steinwehr Avenue and Maryland Street. Two food finds are the crab cake sandwich at the hotel restaurant: the price is reasonable and it tastes great; the other was the Farnsworth House in Gettysburg. The Farnsworth House has a fine dining area and a casual tavern dining area. The food in the tavern could have been better but the price was good given the historical nature of the building.

While crusing the dealer area, I had a list of things I wanted to pick up at the con; and, of those items, only two were available in the dealer area. Undaunted and not wanting to bring all that money back home, I found several things from my "want list": Disposable Heroes, Nuts!, and General Quarters III. All these games are likely to be reviewed on the podcast once I've had a chance to play a few games.

There were a number of folks selling prepainted miniatures; but, since I flew to Fall In, I didn't even bother trying to buy painted figures. I did pick up a few miniatures: 1:6000 scale ships for the Battle of Tassafaronga (an episode 3 podcast topic) and some 10mm Zulus for what will either be another stupid project or a decent start in the colonial period. One thing a few dealers were willing to do was ship any purchases you made shipping free. I think this is an excellent idea for air travellers like me.

One thing that struck me was the sheer number of dealers selling 54mm toy soldiers. At times I wasn't sure if I was at a toy solider show or at Fall In. I need to think about why 54mm is suddenly so popular: could it be that the figures are prepainted? Perhaps it is the fact that 25mm figures cost almost as much as toy soliders anyway. I need to think about this some more and I may discuss this at a later date.

I played a game in the evening (and lost); but, that isn't new.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home