MiniatureGeneral

Musings of one man whose hobby happens to be miniature wargames

Monday, October 23, 2006

6mm Success

I finished painting one of my Seven Years war Russian units composed of 6mm Baccus figures. I've decided to base them for 25mm Age of Reason so the figures are on 40mm frontage bases. Given that the Russian battalions of the period fought in four rank lines, I decided to base the figures in a three deep line. Overall I think the massed look is quite striking.



An interesting thing about 6mm figures is that from "wargame distance" which is the three feet from your eyes to the table the figures can look very good. As you look at the individual figures close up, however, all you see is a very poor paint job. For this reason I didn't take any extreme closeup pictures; but, I have decided to give you a mid range view of the figures:


In the end, this unit has 96 individual figures which is something like 1:10 scale for a battalion. I took me about the same time to paint these 96 figures as it would have to paint the twelve 25mm figures that normally occupy the Age of Reason bases. As for cost, the unit costs about half has much as the 25mm equivalent.

For my hobby I will be using 6mm figures for tactical (column, line, square) Seven Years War games and stick to 25mm figures for my grand-tactical Grande Armee Napoleonic games. I think as long as I stop looking at the Foundry Seven Years War ranges, I won't be tempted to return to God's one true scale.

1 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger El Grego said...

Howdy,

Very nice! I am starting to appreciate more and more the look of the mass of troops that one can obtain using smaller figures.


Greg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home