MiniatureGeneral

Musings of one man whose hobby happens to be miniature wargames

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Russians Russians Everywhere

Last time I said that Flames of War 600 point armies inspired me to start painting my Soviets. I have two Strelkovy company boxes and was planning on sending them to Fernando Enterprises in Sri Lanka. Two things were holding me back from sending the figures: one was that I had already painted 4 teams from one of the boxes and I wanted the rest of the figures to match. The second problem was finding the spare cash to pay for the paint job as the gadgets for podcasting took up part of the miniatures budget.

In the end I decided to bite the bullet and put the remaining infantry teams from the Strelkovy company on lolly sticks for painting. This was going to be a monster project: 76 figures all at one time! Given that Monday was a holiday in the United States, I had a few spare hours for painting and managed to get through the Khaki Brown base coat (base coat, wash, and highlight) which is a large part of the model. For the remainder of this week, I have been able to find about 45 minutes a night to put on one color’s worth of detail (Greatcoat, Haversack, etc.) Based on current production I should have all the infantry finished this week. I plan on rewarding myself by purchasing the ISU-152’s that are in the army I described. I will also take some pictures when the troops are finished.

I had previously picked up a 28mm scale Lenin (perfect for a 15mm statue) from Historifigs so while colors were drying I also started work on one of the objective markers for my Russian army: a Lenin statue! Basically, the statue will be in a little park (the size of a Flames of War large base) with some battle damage and a casualty figure. I’m waiting on an order of some N scale wrought iron fencing in order to finish the base so painting can begin. I promise pictures of this too when it is finished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home