MiniatureGeneral

Musings of one man whose hobby happens to be miniature wargames

Monday, August 07, 2006

Lilliputians need love too

Maksim-Smelchak was kind enough to give me a link to his 6mm blog and this got me thinking about 6mm miniatures in general. As you know, I am a self described painter. This means I tend to go for larger 25mm or even 40mm figures. I’ve tried painting 6mm figures but I was never happy with the results. I think this is because I end up looking at the individual figures rather than the massed effect. Yet, when I’m at conventions and see a table covered in 6mm Napoleonic units in which the battalions have 48+ figures I always marvel at how nice the battle looks.

One of the most stunning uses I’ve seen for 6mm figures is basing them for DBA as if they were 25mm figures. As you can tell from this picture you definitely get something that looks like an ancient army. If this interests you, Baccus 6mm Ltd. will even sell you ready made army packs just for this purpose.

I’ve often wanted to make armies like this, yet in the end I buy a pack or two and paint up a stand and then look at in the light and all I see is something like this and think how horrible it looks. It must be a personal problem because this is also an issue for me regarding 1/6000 and 1/2400 scale naval ships. Lots of people like 6mm wargaming and I like how the battles look, just not my paint jobs. Perhaps someone could tell me what I’m doing “wrong.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home