MiniatureGeneral

Musings of one man whose hobby happens to be miniature wargames

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Great day of not gaming

Saturday is usually gaming day; but, not this Saturday. I guess, if I can’t game at least I can be productive and update ACWarmaster. So, short of gaming, what could be better than sitting on the deck with your laptop, wireless connection, and Microsoft Word? Wargaming on your laptop, I suppose. The board gaming community has adopted technology and there are a fair number of web sites that allow you to play board games on line. That’s great for board gamers, but what are the miniature gamers to do?

There is at least one miniatures game that is playable on line and luckily the game is also a favorite of mine: De Bellis Antiquitatis. Some enterprising folks have taken DBA and created DBA Online which allows players to play games of DBA (and Big Battle DBA) using the computer. While the games are hosted on the server, moves are sent to each player in a format resembling PBEM. DBA Online uses version 1.1 rules and there is a fee for the service; but, when family duties prevent you from getting in a day of gaming, it can be the next best thing.

The only other product I am aware of for online miniatures gaming is VASSAL I know, you’re thinking VASSAL is for board game play but it appears that there are modules for several miniatures games. I do not have any experience with this product and welcome comments from those who have tried it.

The first play test of the updated ACWarmaster rules is scheduled for next Saturday. That is, if I stop blogging and start updating the rules.

1 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger MaksimSmelchak said...

Hi,

I like your blog and would love it if you linked to me:

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

We play alot of DBA, HOTT and the like around my neck of the woods.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home